How do I request a refund?

If you would like to change or cancel your B.A.S.E. registration, you will be required to submit a Refund Request Form and submit it for approval.

Fill out a refund request

Refund Policy

All refunds are subject to Brownsburg Parks’ policies and approval along with any other local or state procedures necessary to process a refund and can take 4-6 weeks to process.  If a refund is approved, the refund will be issued in the form of a check from the Town of Brownsburg regardless of how payment was made and will be mailed to the household’s primary member at the stated address on the Refund Request Form.  A request for a refund must be submitted prior to the start date of the program or reservation date.

Brownsburg Parks reserves the right to cancel, combine, or divide classes; to change time, date, or location; to change instructor’s assignments; and to make any changes that may be necessary from time to time in its sole discretion.  A full refund will be issued if Brownsburg Parks cancels a program prior to the start of the program.  A prorated refund will be issued if Brownsburg Parks cancels a program after the start of the program.

Refund requests are submitted to the Clerk-Treasurer of the Town of Brownsburg twice monthly on a predetermined schedule.  Depending upon when the Request of Refund is received by the Parks Office, it could take up to six weeks to receive a refund check.  Any refund amount under $10.00 will be issued as a household credit for a future Brownsburg Parks transaction.

Show All Answers

1. Where do I drop-off or pick up my child?
2. How do I request a refund?
3. Do you offer any scholarships or financial aid?
4. Where can I access my tax receipts?
5. Is B.A.S.E. offered when school is on break?
6. What about weather delays and closings?
7. How do I contact my B.A.S.E. Site Manager?
8. Do you offer staff discounts for BCSC staff and Town employees?