The Street Department works to keep roads safe and passable during ice and snow events. The Town's snow removal policy states that trucks begin plowing after 2 inches of snow has accumulated.
Preparing for a Snow Event
The Street Department uses local and national weather forecasts to determine when to begin pre-treatment of town roads. When the forecast calls for snow, crews will begin anti-icing treatments on primary streets.
However, this cannot be done when rain is at the leading edge of a snow event. Rain dilutes the solution making it less effective.
Snow Removal Priorities
Streets are divided into four basic categories: primary arterials, collectors, local, and courts.
- The primary arterials are Green Street, maintained by the Town of Brownsburg, and U.S. 136, which is plowed and/or salted by the State Highway Department.
- Collector streets that provide access to work or school are the second priority for plowing and/or salting after the highway.
- Local streets - or neighborhood through streets - are plowed and/or salted after the collector streets are cleared.
- Courts and alleys are the last to be plowed and are typically some of the most difficult, given their size and obstructions.
The Street Department works to clear an entire street before moving on to the next. Depositing some snow in private driveways is unavoidable for the plow trucks when plowing town streets. Plow drivers make every effort to keep the amount of snow deposited into driveways to a minimum.
Sidewalks & Driveways
Residents should shovel snow into the yard, not into the street. Putting snow in the street creates an unsafe situation for motorists and pedestrians. Avoid double shoveling by waiting until after the street has been plowed to clear driveways.
Parks & Trails Snow Removal
Priority roadways are addressed around Brownsburg first. Once local streets are cleared, crews will then turn their attention toward park facilities, including roads, parking, walkways, and trails.
We appreciate your patience as it may take a few days to clear trails and walkways.
Please note, no motorized vehicles are allowed on the trail. If you notice a vehicle that is not marked "Town of Brownsburg" or "Brownsburg Parks" on the trail, please call (317) 852-1100.
If Property Damage Occurs
If, while clearing snow, a truck damages your yard or mailbox, please contact the Street Department at 317-852-1113 to schedule repairs. You may also send us a message. We will make repairs as soon as possible. This may mean that you may have a temporary mailbox until a suitable replacement can be installed, weather permitting.
Snow Removal Tips
Please keep the following tips in mind during the busy snowplow season:
- Do not park vehicles on the street to allow the plows to clear as much of the snow as possible.
- Wait until the street is plowed before you clear your driveway. This avoids having the snow plowed back into the space you just cleared.
- Do not pile snow in the street. This may create an unsafe situation and the Town may have to return and push that same snow back into your driveway.
- If it snows excessively, the Town may plow the streets more than once during the same snow event. Keep this in mind when you clear your drive before it stops snowing.